I met the group (Tom, Mark, and Tim) at the Jewish Congregational parking lot at four o'clock in the morning. While we were chatting and saying our hellos, we heard American robins singing. This was a little odd this early in the morning at this time of the year, but I assume it was due, in part to the bright lights from the parking lot.
We have left our vehicles here over the years and load up into one car. This year we headed off in Mark's little Honda. We start by listening for owls at some spots we know are usually productive. Mark does some amazing owl imitations and we rely on him to pull them in. We did manage to get a couple owls; great-horned and eastern screech, before heading off to Frances Crane Wildlife Management Area to try for short-eared owls before sunrise. Mark was able to see one, but I missed it. We broke briefly for coffee and then returned to walk the fields and turn up some more species. It was chilly and a bit damp, but not as bad as some years. This area was new coverage for us, though I know it very well. It was good to be counting so close to home. In the past we've gone directly to West Falmouth after sunrise.
We had some good birds here. One of the nice things for me was seeing 20 eastern bluebirds in one flock along with a couple pine warblers that were hanging with the flock. Crane is notorious for bluebirds, but I have not seen this many together before. Just before we were about to leave the area, I received a call on my cell phone from the Falmouth Police regarding my truck and Tom's car parked at the Jewish Congregation. Apparently someone was bothered by the vehicles being there, so they called the police. I had good conversation with the dispatcher, knowing her on a professional level and after she figured out who I was. We headed out and moved the cars though the congregation said it was okay to leave them after speaking with the dispatcher a second time and hearing of our efforts. We won't be using their lot again as a matter of course.
Another new area for us to cover was the Falmouth Sewage Treatment Facility property. Strange? Perhaps. There are some nice views of the area from here as it sits high enough up in elevation to see Buzzards Bay. We checked in with one of the town employees to alert him of our intentions to bird here. We found a flock of buffleheads, a type of diving duck, in the pools of partially treated waste water (remember that the next time someone offers you a wild duck for supper!). While checking this, Mark found a Cooper's hawk partially submerged IN the water. We were concerned initially that this bird may be in trouble, but it was able to lift itself out of the water enough to take flight and seemed okay. We assumed it had been attempting to make one of the buffleheads it's breakfast and ended up in the water.
Later in the day, we were joined by the local press. I want nothing to do with them. Don't get me wrong, I have no beef with the press and what they do for us, but I would rather not be in the paper. Two years ago we were on the front page in full color. I have avoided that since, but she did print my name in the paper this year. So, here is a photo of the reporter and her photographer walking with Mark and Tim.
2 comments:
B.. Feel free to use my driveway if you need parking for anything and I promise I wont call the po-lice!! Nice blog!
Gia- thanks. I have to proof read that post as I was up rather late. It'll have to wait.
Post a Comment