Sunday, October 5, 2008

Great Night For Owls!

While letting the dogs out before bed I performed my mimic whistle of Eastern Screech Owl as we have had a couple hanging around lately. It's not the best mimic I have heard out of a person, but I have had luck with it. Soon, I heard one calling back and then it glided down into the light from the spots on the house over my head and into the maple behind the house.

After letting the dogs in I hung around outside calling for them and had it back in the tree in short order. Unfortunately, the camera was put away in the house.

I went in, got the camera and decided to try again. In no time it was in the tree again calling and I was able to snag a couple shots. If you click on the photos you should be able to get an up-close look at the bird.

Eastern Screech Owl - Otus asio

7 comments:

FFNick said...

Awesome Brotha! I'd love to see an owl locally. Good shots!

Barry said...

Thanks. Not too bad considering I was holding a flashlight in one hand, the camera in the other and had 4 beers earlier, lol.

I'm sure you have them there. They can be hard to hear if you have a lot of road noise.

Gia's Spot said...

Awesome shots Barry! If you are in tonite, please remind me to get you to whistle so I know if I have one?? Or do I need to get you four beers first?
;}

Barry said...

Sorry. No public performances.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Cool pics Barry!!!! Love them. barb

Fooseberry said...

Those are freaking AWESOME!!
I know we would have to get you pretty liquored up to be owl calling at work-LOL!!
You are such a Farmer.
Hope to see you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Dr. Doolittle ~ you have such talent! One time we had a owl fly over our house and lost it's dinner in our air conditioner that was on the second floor window. It scared the crap right out of us, but we had lovely bits of snake guts and gross stuff spewed all in the AC! It was hell to clean! Hope to catch up sometime.. Hi to Nick too! Pam