Monday, October 20, 2008

Farm Fresh Meals

Saturday night, Mrs and I roasted up one of the fresh broilers I picked up at Winters Grass Farm on Friday. We also had mashed Kennebec potatoes and steamed carrots, both of which came from the garden here at Frost Bottom. The chicken was fantastic! Mrs also used fresh herbs from the garden for seasoning, but it really didn't need much. Awesome.


Sunday night we had our first NY Sirloin from the beef we got from Vermont Natural Beef. I am not a really big fan of steak, but this was by far, without question THE best steak I think I have ever had. Fantastic melt-in-your-mouth texture and intense flavor. I could hardly get enough. For sides we had steamed green beans from our garden and butternut squash from Coonamessett Farm which is very close by. I hope to be able to continue eating some meals as locally as possible and not factory raised through the winter.

I really need/hope to expand the gardens next year and increase production of potatoes, winter squash and much more. It's going to be a long, long winter.

4 comments:

Live/Love/Life said...

I know me too. Mike brought in our potatoes (forgotten) about two weeks ago. LOL - they were so cute (small).
I was so bummed.

Gia's Spot said...

Nice looking spuds Barry! And the description of the chickens...yummy!! we will have to chat about cost of going to buy them as opposed to getting them at a local market? Beef looked great too and I dont even like it!!

Barry said...

G-

Well, cost was not really what I was concerned about in this case. I have reason to go to the area and I know that these are actually grass fed free range as opposed to the "free range" offered at stores. $2.45/pound for the broilers and $2.85/pound for the turkey. My plan in the spring or summer is to go up, spend a few more days than I did this time then pick them up on the way home.

Terrilee Good at Frost Bottom Studio said...

We actually ate NY sirlion steaks on Sunday night :)