Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Turkey and 10 Chickens

I never really cared much about the "tax free holiday weekend" they've had here in Massachusetts for the past however many years, but this year we decided to take advantage of it. Since we know we're getting our portion of the side of beef in the next month or two we decided to buy a chest freezer which should be delivered soon. By chance, one of my friends from upstate New York was in town and we happened to be talking about raising our own meat chickens. She had been getting organic, grass fed birds from a farmer somewhere up there, but they had since left the area. Fortunately she found Winters Grass Farm in Holland Patent, NY which raises organic, grass fed birds. We have ordered one turkey and 10 chickens. I will have to make a trip to the upstate (twist my arm.....) sometime in October with coolers in tow.

6 comments:

Fooseberry said...

Good thing you have those kind of people living next door or else you would be getting the BOH on your ass with all these additions. Move over Tony Andrews.
When do the fall hayrides start??

Barry said...

Well, these birds will already be processed (a nice way of saying slaughtered) so my involvement with them will be putting them in coolers and then driving them home to the freezer.

Gia's Spot said...

Please dont say you are going to pick them out and slaughter them? Thats almost as bad as having a pet pig and BAM....ham sandwiches for lunch!! LOL JK

FFNick said...

HeHe. You had me there - I thought as fooseberry did that you were gonna add more livestock to the yard. I think it would be cool, but a lot of work, I'm sure.

I know you're just itching for an excuse to go to NY, but wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just have them processed and shipped?

Anonymous said...

You may not simply attend Farm Aid, you may soon qualify as a beneficiary.

Barry said...

We've been looking for an organic grass fed farm for poultry, etc. If we did it here they would have to be mostly grain fed. I don't think the cost is that prohibitive. I'll take the Toyota up and that gets 30+ mpg easily and a free place to stay. I don't mind the drive for meat that's not raised in a factory.

There is a butcher in New Bedford that we could use, but to slaughter at home.... I just don't have the time or knowledge at this point.