Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tree Work

Barnes Tree is out along the road today continuing work on clearing the utility lines. This is a much needed pruning. What amazes me is how they don't die getting so close and touching the power lines with the boom of the truck. Nick or Sherwood, can you help me out with an explanation? I watched one of the booms comes down and across all three wires at the very top of the poles. I see that this section of the boom is a different color and likely a different material.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

fiberglass!

Barry said...

Cool. Amazing how they can manipulate those buckets.

Live/Love/Life said...

Mike calls them, Barnes the butchers.

Barry said...

They did a great job. The lines are quite clear. For some time now if we had a good wind the lights would blink and fade. I'm hoping this fixes that issue.

FFNick said...

Yep - Fiberglass. just don't lick your fingers! =)

We have a company around here - Tree Preservation. When they get finished, it looks more like Tree Devestation. They usually only prune right around the wires, and promote undesirable growth where they just pruned. I guess that keeps 'em in business. It also leaves the tree susceptable to disease because they normally do not prune at the proper points.

Our Aerial Ladders at work usually get tied up in the primary and secondary services around poles, too. I think the guys take too many chances sometimes..

Barry said...

Oh, the trees are a mess, but it needed it. I think they should have just taken some of them right down. But now I can take down the ones that were in the lines on my property without worrying about the wires now. We've got a beetle from F-ing China here now threatening trees. I got a message from the bird group I belong to requesting us to watch out for them and mark them with GPS to get coordinates and report them so they can be isolated.