Tuesday, June 3, 2008


The new garden fence seems to be keeping the crowd of rabbits out. I love having the rabbits, so it's worth it for me to spend the money on the fencing. Hopefully before too long the gardens will look like they have something growing in them.

I spent a little time after work working on the lawn. We're battling crabgrass and trying to do so without using chemicals. I don't want a perfect lawn, but this stuff really makes it unpleasant. Took a little time to photograph some of the goodies coming up in the garden.

Here's a sample of one my leaf lettuces, Black-Seeded Simpson I think. I had some in a BLT over the weekend. Oh yeah!
This is a shot of one of my rows of carrots. I usually over-plant these, but I tried not to this time to cut down on the thinning I'll need to do.















Beanie Babies














Two rows of Tendergreen green beans with Champion Radishes to the right. To the left are two rows of mixed spinach and lettuces.

The perennial bed is coming along nicely. Some of my favorite elements in this garden are from upstate New York. Almost in front of the privacy screen is a piece or driftwood that we picked up in a river off of Flat Rock Road in the Tug Hill Plateau. We also collected a load of flat rocks from the same river system and they are placed in this garden as well for stepping stones.


4 comments:

Gia's Spot said...

Looks great Barry!! What are you trying for the crabgrass? And did you put mulch in the flower beds?

Barry said...

No bark mulch this year. I'm planning to make my own leaf mulch/compost this fall which I'm hoping to use exclusively from now on.

Barry said...

Oh, and the crabgrass.... I'm trying a couple things to see what works better. Ripping it all up with a hoe adding top soil, then replanting with seed, and in one test area I am covering the little baby crab grass with a thicker layer of topsoil and then seed. I want to see if the regular grass can out compete it. As far as I know crabgrass needs a lot of sun so if it can be shaded out it won't survive as well. I'm also not cutting the grass as often or as short for the same reason.

FFNick said...

Looks good B - I like the perennial garden. Keep us posted on your crabgrass elimination progress.