Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wind and Bug Damage

It's been breezy, windy and rather gusty here since Monday. I continue to believe this would be a great place to have a single small wind turbine to power the house. My folks talked about this in the early 80s as well. If not for the initial overhead, I think it would be great to go through the process and have a tower erected on the property.

Anyway, this morning I found one of my Sweet 100 cherry tomato plants bent over from the wind. It had not snapped off completely, so I dug it up and then replanted it covering much of the stem parallel with the ground surface and leaving only about 4 or 5 inches of the crown above the surface. My mom used to plant tomatoes this way to promote more root growth, so if the damage is not too significant it may recover.

I also found that something is eating the spinach which is a drag. It was almost to the point of being edible (for me, not a bug). I noticed a couple leaves on the ground and upon further inspection it appears something chewed through the stems near the base of the plant, but did not eat the entire leaf.

2 comments:

FFNick said...

Sorry about the spinach - I love spinach. I emailed you a link for a different type of turbine, no tower - less invasive.

Barry said...

I planted more the day before yesterday so hopefully it will grow well before the weather gets too hot. Hopefully this is not going to be a trend this year.