Thursday, May 29, 2008

In the 30s....

We woke at about 4:45 this morning to Maggie hacking up a furball at the foot of the bed. I didn't bother going back to sleep after the clean up. Instead, I made some coffee and enjoyed the morning chorus of birds. It's been a while since I heard this and I am always amazed at how noisy it can get. I was able to tick 25 species in a short period of time, mostly by song, just in the yard or flying by. It probably would have been a great morning to hit the woods.

I was not surprised to find the temperatures in the upper 30s. Close call for frost, but all is well. I usually am very much bothered by the cold, but for some reason this morning I wasn't. I enjoyed a walk around the property, sipping my coffee and checking things out. Quite peaceful. I was a little puzzled when I found the same tomato plant that I replanted yesterday snipped, cut, chewed or otherwise chopped off at the base. It was so cleanly cut I would swear it was a pair of scissors. I'm guessing it was a cutworm, but can't be sure yet.

I have four days off (from the PD at least) this weekend. No set plans yet.

No comments: