After looking at the forecast on Sunday, I decided to treat myself to a day off, away from the Cape to visit one of my favorite places, Mount Auburn Cemetery, in Cambridge, MA.
(5/15/08 update.... I should have waited one more day to make the trip. Bird activity reports from MAC today are much better. That's okay though. At least I got there.)
I was in the Matrix and on the road just after 6 am and did not arrive at the cemetery until 8 o'clock. Fairly late to get started birding. I didn't care. I was off the Cape! When I left Frost Bottom it was clear and 42 degrees F.
At 6:25 am I was on Rt 24 and The Scorpions Rock You Like a Hurricane came on the radio. My thoughts instantly went to Nick and the Blazer or a Friday night in Livermore during summer session.... Man, that took me back and certainly woke me up!
Mount Auburn (MAC) is one of the best and most recognized birding spots in the East, particularly during spring migration. MAC is a beautiful oasis surrounded by cities. Migrant birds land here on the journey to their breeding grounds to rest and refuel providing birders an opportunity to see species we might not otherwise.
MAC is also a place to visit if you like horticulture, history or just want to see a really cool place. There are some important historical figures buried here (see History under National Landmark at the MAC website). Below is the Mary Baker Eddy memorial and is only a sample of the beauty there. I know it might sound a little morbid to go visit a cemetery, but this place is just wonderful. I have posted more photos at My Images site. Check back if there are no descriptions for the images when you view them.
Here's a group of birders just above a hot spot called The Dell. I tend to stay away from the groups, unless I hear something rare or uncommon is being seen. I prefer solitude and appreciate the birds I am
Ovenbird
This is an Ovenbird for those not familiar. The image is a tad fuzzy as I manipulated the original to get a closer view. I ended up with 14 warbler species. Not a bad showing for the day, but a little light in the numbers.
After seeing all that I thought I could I decided to head back, but not before stopping at a couple places for geocaching on the way. First stop was at Gore Place. All the years I'd been through Waltham and Watertown, I had no clue this was here. Thanks to caching, I do.
An amazing spot. Here are some of the residents. The grounds are quite nice and it appeared they were gearing up for a wedding.
This place was quite busy but amazingly enough I was able to find the cache, sign the log and make trades with no interruption. Here is the cache container. I also picked up a trackable item or travel bug called Le schtroumpf randonneur . It originated in Quebec and has a goal to travel to many different countries. For now, I'll hang on to it and move it along soon.
It was a good day and I am happy I decided to take the time for myself.
2 comments:
AWESOME!!!
I will feel like I am coming out of a tomb myself in a few days but hope to get out and see some nature myself this weekend. The pictures are beautiful as usual. Looks like it was well worth the drive. I think I have been to Beaver Brook as a kid. Can you tent camp there?
I don't think there is camping. Looked more like a picnic/dog walking area. Lots of people and it was good to see so many outside away from the TV and video games enjoying the day.
Post a Comment