Friday, April 25, 2008

Old Friends


I decided to dedicate a post to an old friend who has commented here recently. This is a rare photo taken sometime in the fall of 1990 (I'm guessing that is the time frame) outside of our college dorm. This was not an uncommon sight, actually. For some reason or another we always seemed to be messing around with our trucks.

We were an unlikely pair really, and we ended up friends and eventually roommates for a summer session in one of the dumpiest of dorms on campus. We had good times and hit a couple rough spots like everyone does, but I think generally we were there for each other. It's been a long time since college, but it (to me) still feels like yesterday. Since then our contacts have been too few, though I was in his wedding and he attended mine (I had no groomsmen).

My memories of the great times are strong. We were polar opposites (I'm guessing more so now....), but it worked. We had some great laughs, spent a lot of time just driving around campus or Westchester County, NY with metal blasting from the kicker in the back of the Blazer, and tossed back more than a few beers. So, Nick this one's for you. I admire your career success and the remarkable family you have. You 'da Man!

7 comments:

Fooseberry said...

I love the 70's photo. I think that is great you arwe getting feed back from people in the past. I am thinking of branching out and letting distant family know about my blog.

Barry said...

No comment from Nick though. Hopefully he's not offended!
Probably just working.
;)

FFNick said...

Ah em.

1970's. Oh Fooseberry - you're lucky I'm in Connecticut! =) Just kidding.

That was circa 1989 if I recall, right B?

Now that I am over the shock of seeing that pic, let me read the blog.......

FFNick said...

Ok. Well, now that I am over the initial shock of:

A - That yes, at one time I could actually bend my body in that position, and

B - Barry and his hair is timeless - D@mn you, Barry.

I can now comment.

In all reality, I am quite flattered that you would take the time and the room on your little piece of the web to include me and give a reflection on our experiences together. Thank you.

I must admit that I think that we are probably more alike than you think. As I look back, I think that you, more than anyone else, have seen me on some of the further fringes of my personality, which I can assure you, rarely expose themselves during my day to day mundane reality.

Also as I look back, which I have done quite often since leaving PSC, I must admit that a large majority of the rough spots (ok, probably all of 'em) were that of my own doing. No doubt largely due to my lack of maturity and the inability of my thought process to keep up with my wise mouth. How I never caught a "beat down" still amazes me today. I mean - look at me - I probably weighed about 120 pounds in that photo!

I do appreciate the friendship that we have, and the experiences that we shared back then. I find it intersting that we can go for extended periods of time with no contact, and basically pick up where we left off.

I have a lot of admiration for you, and I envy a lot of the things that you do, and the principles that you uphold.

No, Barry, YOU 'da Man!

Now, about your hair....

Anonymous said...

This blog and it's subsequent discussion has really made me sit back and appreciate just how wonderful and timeless the relationship between Barry and his hair really is.

Barry said...

I think at the time we were both dangerously close to having mullets.....

Unknown said...

Where's our spot??? :-)