Mrs. G made the call to Vermont Natural Beef in Benson, VT this morning and placed an order for a side of beef. We'll be splitting this with the in-laws. We've never dealt with this place before so I can't give any review other than Mr. Stannard was excellent on the phone. We're very much looking forward to this fall when the delivery will be made. Now all we need is a freezer!
http://www.vermontnaturalbeef.com/
The question now is do we raise our own meat chickens this summer.......?
Other happenings here....
The weather is back to typical April for Cape Cod. Overcast, windy and raw. It was 35 degrees F when I got home last night just around 1 am from my OT shift.
The bluebird female is actively, almost feverishly nest building while the male looks on and drives away any birds that come near them.
I fenced in one of the gardens yesterday as the peas are poking out of the ground. Lettuces, spinach and carrots have been planted as well.
It's a good day.
11 comments:
Yes, it is a good day!
Now if I can only tear you away from the computer to measure for wire to keep the "peeps" contained.....
Mrs.G
What happened to "do whatever you want today" because I worked so hard this week? >;)
Over and out......
What is a "Meat Chicken"?
Bred specifically for meat (as opposed to egg layers). Hatch to freezer in 12 weeks. Mmmmmm. Chicken....
MM was super interested in your chicken escapade- I will forward this post to her. Have you read about her buying turkey at a local farm?
I love that Mrs G signs herself that way even on your blog.
I am really interested in this too. I think we could use the whole 1/2 ourselves. The freezer is an issue here too.
I. could. never. raise. my. own. protein.
OMG.
Pukes and runs away.
But, anyway. I love the taste. Tastes like chicken. The beef, I like jerky.
MM - It's so good though. And I'm a wuss and don't actually do the processing. They would go off to New Bedford for that. It's too messy and time consuming.
Fooseberry- FYI the farmer has several clients in our town and more across the Cape. We're sending the deposit tomorrow. He invited us to stop by this summer if we're up that way. I feel a camping trip coming on!
Nice. Keep us posted come Fall on the delivery, as well as your freezer shopping exploits.
There are no local butchers that will process chickens for you? I guess New Bedford really isn't too far.
So - no Blog on the change from "CrAzY Woodsman" to the GQ, "Look at my side profile, I'm prettier than you" pictures?!
GQ, indeed. That was either on Webster or Jackson in NH a few years back. It may have been the same trip as the crazy woodsman in fact.
I had to dig deep for the name of the place in New Bedford we used when I was a kid. Then it came to me.... Mr. Lavado. So, using "The Google" I was able to come up with Lavado's Poultry Market. I called and found it to still be there, but a new owner. Amazing operation in the middle of New Bedford. I know of no others.
I visited the site, I myself would have to visit the farm to view living conditions , plus I'd want to know how the animals are killed (hopefully) before they're processed ..... after watching the "kosher" video I'm suspect of any meat farm :)
We were invited to the farm and intend to visit this summer. They spend a majority of their time out in the pastures. We wanted grass fed moo.
Post a Comment